Wednesday 18 January 2012

Book Author Review - Sophie Kinsella.



The majority of the time I love the look of a front cover and the sound of the book title but I can never read the book from cover to cover. I just end up reading the first few chapters and then find something to read.

This however is a different story for me, when I read the shopaholic books written by well-known author Sophie Kinsella, from London. I say to myself, I’ll just read one chapter before I go to bed, but I cant help but read on.

Becky Bloomwood is the main character featured in all of her books. She is a financial journalist who is dreadful at managing her own money. She is forever maxing out her credit cards and has received a large amount of red letters from the bank.

She fortunately manages to always find a good enough excuse to tell the bank manager to be able to get her payment date extended. Some excuses being, ‘I’ve just come back from a skiing holiday and I have broken my leg’ or ‘Someone stole my purse and has spent all the money on my credit cards’.

The majority of her books have the same story line; a twenty something girl addicted to shopping and expensive designer labels, always getting herself into debt. A girl who has every excuse possible and someone who finds it extremely easy to overspend on every single credit and debit card she owns.

The series starts off with her living her dream being a true shopaholic and attaining her perfect career as a finance journalist; to her most recent book when we find her married and having a child whom she also spends a large amount of borrowed money on.

Despite knowing the story line, it makes it a lot easier for myself to read. Kind of knowing what is next and trying to guess which designer coat or scarf she has bought on her lunch break is a fun task.

She is an amazing author and I love the fact her books are so easy to read. Maybe that is a little lazy of me, being a trainee fashion journalist, but there’s nothing more frustrating than having a complicated book in your hand.

Make sure you borrow a shopaholic book from the library, they are a definite must read, especially if you are a fashion fanatic like myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment